Today is World Malaria Day
I thought in honour of the day, I would give you some facts and figures about malaria, its effects in Uganda and the work of Kids Club Kampala in this area.
Did you know??
- Malaria is Africa’s leading cause of mortality in children under 5 years of age
- Uganda has one of the highest malaria incidence rates in the world.
- Malaria is the leading cause of morbidity and mortality in Uganda
- An estimated 100,000 children die every year in Uganda due to malaria
- More children die every year in Uganda from malaria than HIV and AIDS
- 15% of premature deaths in Uganda are due to malaria
- An average Ugandan family spends approximately 25% of their income on treatment for malaria
- Time lost from school due to malaria leaves children unable to escape the cycle of poverty
- Malaria is completely preventable by sleeping under an insecticide treated mosquito net
- A life-saving mosquito net costs just £3
You can save the life of a child in Uganda buy donating today to purchase a mosquito net for a child for just £3 – www.give.net/kidsclubkampala
This Saturday we are having a big Malaria Awareness Day including a big giveaway of mosquito nets to our children at Kids Club Kampala. Stay tuned for more updates and photos from this event soon!