This coming Saturday, 28th May is World Hunger Day.
Did you know that:
- 1 in 9 people in the world go hungry every day – that is almost 800 million people.
- According to the United Nations World Food Programme, almost half of all child deaths in developing countries are linked to hunger – that is over 3 million children every year.
- In Uganda, 5.8 million people are malnourished and at least 9 million Ugandans are food insecure.
Many of the children that Kids Club Kampala work with come from families that food insecure and many end up going to bed hungry every night.
Poor nutrition and a lack of food leads to stunted growth and development in children, lack of concentration at school affecting their learning, tiredness and a lack of energy. We come across numerous children who are sadly too hungry and lacking in energy to join in activities and play games with their friends.
In 2011, we began feeding children at our Saturday Kids Clubs once a month and in 2012, we began feeding children at our Saturday Kids Clubs every Saturday. In 2013, we began also feeding children at our education project every day.
In 2016, we currently feed approximately 600 children children every day at our 3 Encouraging Education project centres, and a further 1800 children every Saturday who attend our Kids Club activities. We also provide meals for children taking part in our football, music and dance activities throughout the week.
Altogether, we currently provide a total of 20,000 meals for vulnerable and undernourished children in Kampala’s slums per month. This is approximately 250,000 meals per year!
Good nutrition is vital to fighting poverty, and thanks to our Feeding Programme, we are seeing huge improvements in children’s nutrition, health, energy levels, behaviour and overall well-being.
Did you know that:
- To provide a hot, nutritional meal for a child in Kampala’s slums costs just 20p.
- £1 can provide 5 meals for hungry children in Kampala’s slums.
- To feed a child for a month costs just £6.
- And we currently need to raise a total £50,000 to fund our entire feeding programme for a year – feeding up to 4000 hungry children.
If you could help by donating even just for one meal for a child in Kampala’s slums, please click here – we can guarantee it will make a huge difference!